Teenager sentenced to 22 years in prison for the murder of Nigerian man in the UK

18 year old Kaleb Amponsah was today, Friday August 26th, sentenced to 22 years in prison at the Old Bailey for the murder of a 27-year-old Nigerian man, after stabbing him to death in broad daylight in an east London park. 

Amponsah, of Robertson Road, Newham, was found guilty on Thursday 28 July, at the Old Bailey of killing Ade Afariogun by stabbing him in the stomach in front of the victim’s friends. On Friday 29 January, the victim was in Plaistow Park with three female friends. 

Whilst there, they noticed Amponsah ride his bike past the group on several occasions and stare aggressively at the victim. Shortly before 13.15hrs, just as the victim was leaving the park, Amponsah pulled up his bike in front of him and started an argument with him.

A scuffle followed during which the two exchanged punches. The victim’s friend attempted to intervene by pulling Amponsah away; but he produced a large knife from his waistband, stabbing the victim in his stomach twice. So brutal was the attack, that the victim received a 12cm injury to his abdomen. 

He was rushed to Royal London Hospital, but despite the best efforts of medical staff, he died during the early hours of Monday 1 February. Immediately after the incident, Amponsah fled from the scene, leaving the victim bleeding on the ground. 

In his haste he left behind his bike and mobile phone. This proved vital in the investigation as detectives were able to retrieve his DNA from both. After leaving the park, Amponsah called a friend and went straight to his address a few streets away from the murder scene. There he stayed for less than 20 minutes before getting a taxi to a street near his home address. 

He returned to his home for a brief period, changing his clothes in the process. He then took a second taxi from a nearby location to a friend who lived locally, where he spent the remainder of the afternoon. On 5 February 2016, Amponsah was arrested at his home address. Searches at the property revealed the clothing worn by the killer, and a large knife concealed within his mattress in his bedroom. 

Detective Sergeant Perry Benton said: “Five months after the original charge, Amponsah admitted being responsible for the fatal stabbing but claimed he had acted in self-defence after the victim attacked him. 

Thankfully the jury saw through this unlikely scenario, recognising this for the needless and cold-blooded murder it was. The park where this took place is well used by a wide range of borough residents and the local community should feel reassured that this type of attack is an extremely rare occurrence. 

Ade was in the park with friends when he was killed for reasons that we have been unable to ascertain. He was well loved by his family and friends, who miss him very much.” Three other males arrested in connection with the incident aged 16 and 17 years were released with no further action.