India has been a treasure-house of talent. We can understand if we look at the glorious past we had during the medieval times. When westerners were looking for the clues to solve scientific problems, India's illustrious ancestors had solutions in their minds. However, these solutions were not properly documented. Hence, many of those solutions got embroiled in controversies in later centuries. When the time passed on, the western counterparts happened to rediscover them. Later, they applied for the patents. This has happened in case of many proprietary medicines derived from herbs. The current ruling dispensation under Narendra Modi has understood the need for giving fillip to the local brains so that they come out with outstanding products and technologies for the welfare of the community as a whole. In light of the new initiatives by the central government, let us look at the some of the outstanding Indian technology-based products we have come across since India got independence. These products have made India proud internationally. In this article, let us look at some of the outstanding technology products that Indians have indigenously developed.
1. Artificial Heart Valves: These products came as a spin-off of the material research that developed low weight materials for Indian space satellites. The research team working in Sri Chitra Thirunal Institute of Science and Technologies developed these life-saving valves at low costs. This prestigious Central Government Institution is located in Trivandrum, Kerala.
2. Artificial Limbs: Traditionally, India has to import the artificial limbs from foreign countries. Moreover, using them was a nightmare. Keeping these things in mind, some Indian entities have started making tailor-made artificial limbs for Indian conditions. These spin-off products have provided much-needed relief for the differently-abled people in that country.
3. Natural Mosquito Repellents: Some of the Center for Scientific and Industrial (CSIR) research institutes has developed herb-based natural repellents. They have already started marketing them. Just Spray, Just Out are some of the classical examples of insect repellents brought out by these research agencies. These products don't have any side effects unlike the commonly available brands like All Out, Mortein, etc.
4. Hib Vaccines: An Indian pharmacological company by the name Bharat Biotech has developed first indigenously made Hib vaccine against Haemophilias Type b microbe. It has brought down the cost of treatment of the above mentioned disease by half.
5. Shanferon: Noted Biotech Company Shantha Biotechnics had come out with first indigenously made interferon that costs about 40% less than the imported interferon. Physicians have started using this compound in the treatment of Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, Chronic Hepatitis B and Chronic Hepatitis C. Make in India initiative by the Indian government has drawn the inspiration from the post discoveries by its illustrious discoverers and developers from the past. Even before the initiative, there were a number of products that have become globally known. This article talks about such products in some detail. For more such interesting topics,